So I watched 142 movies this year and I actually liked or loved more than a few but trying to come up with my 10 favorite movies seemed like an impossible task… This movie was better than this one and why… Blah Blah Blah… I decided to make it easier on myself and save some time to come up with 5… and I bet 3 of them you’ve never even heard of. – Eric Valdez
5. Deadpool: I liked this one because it wasn’t your typical super hero movie. In fact to quote Deadpool himself, he’s not a hero. However, the producers of this one did the right thing by taking the handcuffs off of the script and let their anti-hero do some damage to save the woman he loves. And by doing so they set the bar for where these film makers, of super hero movies, can go and do with these characters.
4. Hell or High Water: This was a great modern day western/cops and robbers film. The thing that really made this one was the cast and their portrayal of their characters. Jeff Bridges and Ben Foster are really the best thing about this film and is really one to check out if you get a chance.
3. Hacksaw Ridge: Directed by Mel Gibson and starring Andrew Garfield, this one was one I wanted to see but wasn’t sure if it would actually be any good. To my surprise it was so much better than I could have hoped. I’m not the biggest Andrew Garfield fan and didn’t think he would be believable in this kind of role, but once I saw the real life person that this film is based on I realized he was actually the right guy for the job.
2. Moonlight: It’s hard to believe now that I almost passed on watching this one. But when I came out of the theater I knew it was one of the best movies I had seen all year. I guess the best way to put it is that it wasn’t a story that you would expect. It runs you and the main character through the emotional gauntlet the entire way. There is a great cast and the 3 different actors who portray the one main character, in different periods of his life, are amazing.
1. Sing Street: This is no joke, I have actually watched this one about 20 times. It was one of great films that premiered at this years Phoenix Film Festival and almost everyone I’ve talked to about it has fallen in love with it. I think this is a film that is relatable to almost everyone. At some point we have all done something to try to impress and get the attention of a person we were attracted to… not that it worked for me. If you missed it in theaters it’s now on NetFlix so definitely take the time to watch this one.